Thursday, February 28, 2008

Impatience is a Virtue

It comes as no surprise to those who know me that I have been impatient throughout this adoption process. Quite frankly I’ve been impatient throughout any other process I have been involved in over the past 39+ years. Yes, I know Galatians 5:22 and all that jazz. (The fruit of the Spirit is PATIENCE.) Well, I’m sorry to say that I have rubbed off on someone else in the household. We are all getting anxious to get little Caleb home, but there is one person here who rivals ME on obnoxiousness. Can you guess?

It’s Micah!

For the past several weeks he has been relentless in his questions about his brother coming home. Every morning he asks me first thing, “Caweb coming home soon?” Every day he tells me, “I gonna share my cars wif Caweb.” He has even started saving goodies for his buddy. A few weeks ago our church held a special family event and handed out ring pops to the kids after the production. Micah took his ring pop and brought it to me, asking where Caleb’s treat was. Thankfully, our kind Children’s Ministries Director gave him another, and he brought it home to put on a shelf in their bedroom. On Valentine’s Day we added a specially packaged “heart” fruit roll-up. Last night, however, I had to draw the line. Big Brother wanted to save a piece of Tastefully Simple Beer Bread for his pal. I’m pretty sure that would have been green and fuzzy by the time we see travel approval.

Well, anyway, I know we are supposed to train our children to be patient, but in this case, I think IMPATIENT is pretty sweet. Let’s just hope Micah still feels so loving toward his brother once Caleb Shane is more than just a photo on the shelf.

No comments: