In 1995, shortly before Christmas, my Aunt CAROLYN offered us a wonderful treat for Grayden:

She fondly recalled how this horse had been enjoyed by her two sons. She had been keeping it for when she had grandchildren, but she decided not to store it for that long after all. We were delighted and put Wonder Horse under the Christmas tree that year from Santa. (Dumb. Should have taken credit ourselves.)
And since then, that horse has been ridden by Grayden, Emma, Chloe, Keegan and Micah. In fact, Micah loved it so much he would actually rock himself to sleep on it!
But alas, after seven kids have bounced on your plastic back that long, you will develop a hole in your saddle. A big, big hole. We patched it up several times, but as we were planning to bring Caleb home I realized that he was kind of little and with a hole that big…well, how would I explain to friends and family that we lost him inside a horse?
So, Wonder Horse went to the garage waiting for a warm summer day when our daddy had time to dismantle him and, um, put him in a trash bag.
(Well, that was kind of a creepy sentence to write.)
Look though, before he went into the bag, the kids were still having fun with him.
4 comments:
Oh, that picture of Micah looking through the legs is CLASSIC. It kinda looks like something else...no, I won't say it.
They just don't make toys that good anymore...
I absolutely love that you threw the horse away! I know that sounds awful, but Scott would have kept it...stored it...attempted to repair it...taken it to Antique Roadshow...etc. I (the one who says I would sell any "heirloom" I have the minute anyone offered me any substantive amount of money--right after I take a picture of it, of course :-) am always getting flack from Scott for being unsentimental...I have found a kindred spirit in you, Kelly, in more than one way! Thanks!
oh, I don't know...you could have renamed it Trojan Horse, if you wanted to go ahead and lose him inside it. He could have snuck into your neighbor's house and attacked them for chocolate.
...(yes, this is proof that I do read people's old notes and profiles on FB, cause here I am...) ;-)
Post a Comment